Fudgy double chocolate chip muffins
These double chocolate chip muffins are very fudgy and could probably pass for cupcakes!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time37 mins
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder I used a combination of Hershey's dark, Belgium and Black cocoa powders
- 2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder can substitute with regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coffee I dissolved a teaspoon of instant coffee in ¼ cup of hot water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line two standard muffin pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powders, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and applesauce. Slowly transfer this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Pour in the hot coffee and mix until everything almost comes together.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared baking pans, filling each well at least ¾ full. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top if desired.
Bake in your preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
Allow the muffins to cool before serving.
Leftover muffins should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator and will last for several days. They can also be frozen and thawed.
Source: Barely adapted from Sprinkle Some Sugar