Jacques Torres' mudslide cookies
These intensely chocolate-y cookies come from Mr. Chocolate - Jacques Torres
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 6 ounces (about 1 and 1/2 cups) unsweetened chocolate, in chips or chunks (I used Baker's chocolate)
- 32 ounces (about 8 cups) bittersweet chocolate, in chips or chunks (I used Ghirardelli baking chips)
- 3/8 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 and 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups walnuts optional - I did not use
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Melt the unsweetened chocolate and 16 oz. (4 cups) of the bittersweet chocolate over a double-boiler (a simple double boiler can be set up by putting a metal bowl over a simmering pot), stirring periodically.
Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy and add the eggs one at a time, blending until mixed.
Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the butter mixture and mix just until combined.
Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined and stir in the nuts (if using) and the remaining 16 oz. (4 cups) of bittersweet chocolate.
Use a cookie scoop to measure out the dough evenly and place on a cookie sheet (I love using my Silpat for this). Place cookies at least 2 inches apart.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, until crusty on the outside (they should still be gooey on the inside). Allow to cool before eating.