Chocolate zucchini bread
Got lots of zucchini? Then make chocolate zucchini bread!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 5 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini I used 4 small zucchini
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted (not Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup safflower or canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease (or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray) a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
Grate the zucchini, using a medium sized grater. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice. Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended (about 2 minutes).
Fold in the grated zucchini. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
Place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.