This whole wheat double chocolate chip banana bread will satisfy all your chocolate cravings! With no butter or oil, it’s a healthier alternative to other classic recipes!
This whole wheat double chocolate chip banana bread (say that 5 times fast) was a big hit in my house. I was able to secretly make the original recipe healthier by swapping out all-purpose flour with whole wheat and substituting butter and oil for applesauce.
The best part is that nobody knew except for me.
My 7 year old just thought this was a chocolate chip bread. She didn’t even notice that this was a banana bread. All that she cared about was that this was a chocolate bread and that it contained chocolate chips.
This bread is best right out of the oven so the chocolate chips are slightly melty but will definitely keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Whole wheat double chocolate chip banana bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 bananas extremely ripe and smashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the bananas, applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and fold until a few dry streaks remain. Toss in the chocolate chips and fold until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake in your preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool before serving.