Classic banana muffins get a healthier makeover – with no butter or oil, these whole wheat chocolate chip banana muffins have chocolate chips in every bite!
I am a fan of bananas… but definitely not banana flavored things. In fact, my family and I go through a bunch of bananas every 3-4 days and often have to make another grocery store run in the middle of the week to buy more bananas.
There are weeks though, where we don’t consume all the bananas in the house so those get thrown into the freezer. I soon noticed that we had somewhere around 12 bananas stored in the freezer. That meant that it was time to make some banana bread.
I recently made two loaves of banana bread (using up 8 total bananas) and still had about 4 more. Rather than make banana bread, I opted for banana muffins this time and threw in some chocolate chips for good measure. Because chocolate.
These muffins were dense and chewy with beautiful pops of chocolate in every bite. I happily ate these for breakfast over the course of a few days. I liked the fact that the muffins were somewhat healthier than traditional banana bread because I had swapped out some of the ingredients for more wholesome ones and omitted any butter or oil.
Hope you enjoy these!
Whole wheat chocolate chip banana muffins
- 1 and ½ cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease a standard muffin pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the bananas, sugar, egg, and applesauce.
- Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well at least 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.