These whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins are secretly healthier than most! Even though they contain no refined sugar, oil or butter, you won’t even know the difference! You might want to bake up a double batch!
My family and I go through a lot of bananas. We usually buy one large bunch at the grocery store but have to stop by again in the middle of the week to buy another bunch. Why not buy two bunches, you ask? Because they get mushy quickly and we are not fans of mushy bananas.
What I didn’t realize is that with all these bananas that we were consuming, we also froze a lot of them. When we go on weekend trips or travel somewhere, we usually throw the remaining bananas in the freezer. All those bananas add up.
In the past month, I’ve made at least 2 or 3 loaves of banana bread. Each required about 3-4 bananas each. That’s a lot of bananas. And then I realized that I had 4 more in there!
Here’s where these muffins come in.
While I am a huge fan of banana bread (and love this one the best), it’s nice to change things up every once in a while so we don’t get stuck in a routine. And since I’ve been off my muffin making habit, I figured that now was a great time to get back in.
These whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins were fantastic. They were healthier than most and did not contain any refined sugar, butter or oil. I made some healthier substitutions that nobody caught on to.
My family and I devoured these for breakfast and mid-day snacks. If you’re a fan of banana nut bread or muffins, you can always throw some nuts in for good measure.
Whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 5.3 ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon milk of choice
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, applesauce, egg, Greek yogurt and milk until uniform. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until a few dry streaks remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 full. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.