This fabulous chocolate chip bread is slightly healthier than most – it contains whole wheat flour and no eggs. Non-vegans won’t even know the difference!
A few weeks ago, I ran out of eggs. We had made an egg salad over the weekend, some breakfast sandwiches and these red bean swirl buns. As a result, I had zero eggs in the refrigerator.
Not surprisingly, I was running out of things to eat for breakfast, so I wanted to make something. Normally, my mind goes straight to quick bread, but because I had zero eggs, I had to adapt my plans. I decided to make a vegan quick bread to satisfy my bread cravings and my lack of ingredients.
This particular quick bread is slightly healthier than classic chocolate chip breads. Obviously, there are no eggs, but I also subbed the flour with whole wheat and used a lot of unsweetened applesauce (you can substitute 3 overripe bananas if you like). I did use oil, but you can swap that out for unsweetened applesauce if you’re counting calories.
Addie has been happily eating this for breakfast, and both my husband and I sneak some slices for mid-day snacks. Of course, feel free to swap out the chocolate chips with whatever baking chips you have on hand if chocolate’s not your thing. Finally, you can always adding some topping as well – I usually opt for more chocolate chips but you can easily drizzle on some icing (powdered sugar and water or milk), make a streusel or top with a variety of baking chips.
Husband’s rating: 4 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4 out of 5
My rating: 4 out of 5
Vegan whole wheat chocolate chip bread
- 1 and ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk of choice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Generously grease or line a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside (I use a silicone loaf pan and do not grease or line it).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, milk, sugars and vanilla.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips until everything just comes together - do not over mix.
- Transfer to your prepared baking pan and top with additional chocolate chips if desired (you can also add some coarse sugar for a crunchy topping). Bake in your preheated oven for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.