Sometimes I feel like I should work at Google or be a Googler full time. While I wish that I would always have all the ingredients on hand for recipes I want to try next, that doesn’t always happen. I usually have too much or too little of an ingredient, so my options are limited. I have to go off and Google what recipes are out there that I can make with my limited items.
This time, I had a lot of leftover buttermilk and only 2 eggs. Buttermilk ice cream sounded interesting, but it called for more than 2 eggs. I saw recipes for buttermilk bread, buttermilk banana bread, cupcakes and other sweets, but yet again, they needed more than 2 eggs. Finally, I found these vanilla buttermilk cupcakes on Baking Bites and breathed a sigh of relief. The recipe asked for one cup of buttermilk and 1 egg. Hooray! That recipe only made 12 cupcakes, so I could double it and share the cupcakes with others.
As an added bonus, I had 11 lonely egg whites sitting in the fridge that were a result of my ice cream making adventures. I could use up about 4 of them to make a swiss meringue buttercream to frost the cupcakes. Yes!
The recipe below is only for 12 cupcakes. I doubled it so I could make extras to share.
Vanilla buttermilk cupcakes
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it looks creamy.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla and almond extracts until mixture is smooth.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until almost combined. Add buttermilk and stir, again, until almost combined. Add the rest of the flour and stir until all ingredients are mixed in.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the muffin pan. Cool completely before frosting.