These are the ultimate banana muffins – they contain 4 whole bananas and are perfect as breakfast, a snack or even dessert. There’s no lack of banana flavor in these muffins!
Ever buy banana muffins but can’t taste the banana? Yup, me too. Or even banana bread, for that matter. I’m tired of “banana” baked goods that barely contain half a banana. Well, these muffins are the opposite of that. A batch of 20 of these muffins contain 4 whole bananas. You won’t have to search for the bananas here!
We eat a lot of bananas in our house. Every week, we buy a bunch of 6-7 bananas and almost always have to make a mid-week grocery store run to buy more. Once in a blue moon, we don’t finish the bananas so I freeze them.
While I have made a fantastic banana bread before, I found that Addie doesn’t eat quick breads as much. She’s a muffin fiend. So I went to look for a soft and banana-y muffin that she would enjoy. I found this recipe online and made a few adjustments, which you’ll see below.
My husband happily declared that these muffins were definitely one of his favorites. Addie had one with her meal one day and said, “Mommy! These are sweet!” I tried one as well, and they were definitely good. The muffins did get a bit soggy overnight, so I recommend refrigerating them if you aren’t planning on eating them all in one day.
The other recommendation I would make is to decrease the amount of sugar. I felt like 2 cups was way too much, so I would try 1/2 a cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar the next time. The bananas on their own are already sweet, so they don’t need too much extra sugar. Other than that, these muffins were definitely banana-y and will remain on our muffin rotation.
Ultimate banana muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar I recommend decreasing this to 1 cup, and possibly using 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar as an alternative
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas peeled and coarsely mashed (I used frozen bananas that I thawed in the microwave)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease two standard muffin pans and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Transfer the dry ingredients into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pans, filling each well almost to the top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool slightly before serving.