A triple chocolate muffin that is made with melted chocolate, cocoa powder and chocolate chips! This super chocolate-y muffin is a wonderful treat to snack on throughout the day. It’s also the perfect excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!
Yes, I am sharing another muffin recipe. I’m sorry, I just can’t help myself. When I can make excuses to eat chocolate for breakfast, I am going to take it. I mean, how can you resist eating a TRIPLE chocolate item after you wake up? You just can’t.
These beauties contain three doses of chocolate – from melted chocolate, cocoa powder and of course loads of chocolate chips. Does it get any better than that? Well, I guess I could have thrown in a molten chocolate center, but maybe I’ll do that next time.
My family demolished these muffins in no time flat. Addie ate one just about every day for her breakfast, and I noticed that my husband was happily enjoying them too. The muffins are a tad on the drier side, so I’d actually recommend increasing the liquid a little bit in these – maybe bump the milk up to 3/4 cup (or adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of applesauce).
The muffins will dry out a little bit if you keep them in the refrigerator. Just make sure you pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds before serving.
Triple chocolate muffins
- 3 Tablespoons butter diced
- 1 and 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Generously grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chopped chocolate together. Mix until it is completely smooth. Allow it to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the melted chocolate and milk mixtures to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Slowly fold until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared baking pan, filling each well about 3/4 full. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then, without opening the oven, turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.