This triple chocolate biscotti will go perfect with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. With semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, it’s sure to brighten to your day!
Time for another What’s Baking challenge!
This month, our host is Coleen of The Redhead Baker. We had several themes to vote on this month, and biscotti was chosen as the winning theme. Since I am not a coffee drinker, I have never made biscotti before. I guess I could have dunked these crispy cookies into a nice mug of hot chocolate, but the idea of it never crossed my mind until now.
Regardless, I was happy about the theme because it challenged me to bake something I never would have made otherwise. I guess that’s the point of these What’s Baking challenges anyway, right? So now how was I going to decide what type of biscotti to bake?
For my first attempt at biscotti, I wanted a recipe with ingredients that I already had. I’ve seen a lot of fun flavors floating around the internet but didn’t want to have to buy a specialty ingredient or an item that I normally wouldn’t have in my pantry. So chocolate biscotti it was. Well, triple chocolate in my case.
The dough for this biscotti came together very quickly. I actually cheated the 10 minute chilling process and only chilled for a few minutes (I had to be somewhere and was strapped for time). The biscotti still turned out wonderfully. It was crunchy, chocolate-y and would go perfectly well with a cup of joe or hot chocolate.
Be sure to visit The Redhead Baker to see what types of biscotti the other ladies made.
Triple chocolate biscotti
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and baking powder and mix for another 2 minutes. Add in the egg until fully incorporated.
- Turn off the mixer and fold in the flour by hand. The batter will be thick and sticky. Mix until a few dry streaks remain.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together.
- Cover and chill in your refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it into a 9" long log. Place the log on the prepared baking sheet, flatten slightly and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn the oven off for now.
- Allow the dough log to cool for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Cut the loaf into diagonal strips about 1/2 inch wide. Place cut side up on the baking sheet in your preheated oven for about 9 minutes. Then flip the biscotti over and bake for another 9 minutes.
- Allow the biscotti to cool completely before serving.