This thick and rich hot chocolate is way better than the powdered stuff. It’s a perfect treat after a cold winter’s day. We love sipping on this after shoveling snow!
Our city got dumped with about 12 inches of snow the other week. It started snowing from 8:00am and didn’t stop until around midnight. My husband and I had to shovel the driveway – twice – and probably could have shoveled a third time.
Why we have one of the longest driveways in the neighborhood, I don’t know. But thankfully we have two shovels so can get everything cleared in a decent amount of time. In previous years, we only had one shovel so it took twice as long.
While we were shoveling, Addie was having fun in the snow. She made snowballs and threw them at us and even made a few snow angels. Unfortunately, the snow wasn’t wet enough to make a snowman, so we didn’t get to do that.
Once we got inside, we needed something warm to drink. My husband suggested hot apple cider, but I had other ideas. I wanted some thick and rich hot chocolate. This is the recipe I have been using for a few years. Like its title, it really is and thick and rich beverage, unlike the watery kinds you get from those powdered packets at the grocery store. Even the premium hot chocolate mixes are still watery (and after you add milk too). Super disappointing.
This hot chocolate uses both regular milk and evaporated milk. The corn starch is what thickens it up. Just make sure you keep stirring or else the corn starch will clump up into really gross chunks. You don’t want to drink that!
Hope you stay warm in this chilly weather!
Thick and rich hot chocolate
- 3 cups milk of choice
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milks and vanilla together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar and corn starch.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the milks. Make sure you constantly stir so you don't get clumps.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and then remove the saucepan from the stove.
- Divide among 4 cups, top with marshmallows if desired, and enjoy!