These thick and chewy blondies are my favorite blondie recipe to date! You can customize them with your favorite add-ins and baking chips!
When I crave a bar dessert, my mind always goes to brownies first. Why? I don’t know. Maybe it’s the chocolate. I felt like it was time to make a blondie, since it had been a while from the last time I baked some.
This particular recipe looked promising, and I admit that I made a mistake when baking this. However, it was a happy mistake, because my inability to thoroughly read through the directions resulted in a blondie that was way better than any other blondie I have ever had. You’re probably wondering what my error was.
I baked it in the wrong sized pan. The original recipe said to bake the batter in a 9″x13″ pan, which usually yields thinner blondies (and typically drier as well). I mis-read the instructions and baked mine in an 8″x8″ square pan. I underbaked my blondies on purpose (at 20 minutes). As a result, the blondies appeared underdone in the middle, but I knew that they’d firm up as they cooled.
After the blondies finally cooled, I cut into them and ate one. And you know what? These were super thick, very chewy and fudge-like and were the BEST blondies I could have asked for. When I told my husband about my mistake, he said that he was glad I baked these in the wrong pan. He said that if I had used the 9″x13″ pan, the blondies would have been thin and dry.
So, enjoy my happy mistake. Bake these super thick and chewy blondies, and add in whatever baking chips or nuts you enjoy. You’ll be happy you did.
Husband’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
My rating: 4.5 out of 5
Thick and chewy blondies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalter butter melted and hot
- 1 and ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup white chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup maple baking chips optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugars until well blended.
- Add the eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the baking chips (you can also add in nuts if that's your thing).
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with additional baking chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few wet crumbs. I baked mine for 20 minutes, and the center looked slightly underdone (that is OK since the blondies will continue to set as they cool).
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing and serving.