Blueberry muffins not your thing? Try these strawberry Greek yogurt muffins instead! With no oil or butter, these healthier muffins will be sure to brighten your day!
Another day in the Eva Bakes household, another muffin recipe. Am I right?
With all the zucchini we’ve received in our CSA this year, I’ve made countless batches of our favorite eggless Nutella chocolate chunk zucchini muffins. While I am obsessed with those muffins, it was time to try something new. Our supply of said zucchini muffins was down to a minimum when I asked Addie what variety to bake next.
And no surprise, she said, “chocolate zucchini muffins.” Nice try. I told her to pick something else, and she said that she wanted strawberry muffins. OK, strawberry muffins it was.
Like most muffin recipes, these came together in no time at all. Mix the dry ingredients together, mix the wet ingredients separately, then fold and combine. Then toss in the strawberries. Easy.
After the muffins had cooled down, I offered one to Addie. She got mad! She said that she didn’t want strawberry muffins but wanted banana ones instead. After she tried a bite, she forgot about being mad and ate the rest of it. Problem solved.
These strawberry muffins were a nice change from the chocolate zucchini muffins and your traditional blueberry types. The Greek yogurt makes the muffin nice and dense so they don’t get too crumby after taking a bite. And with no butter or oil, they are slightly healthier than your grocery store or bakery muffins.
Guess I need to make a batch of banana muffins soon.
Strawberry Greek yogurt muffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup (1 5.3 ounce container) plain Greek yogurt can substitute with strawberry Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- Turbinado sugar for decorating optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the vanilla, eggs, applesauce, Greek yogurt and milk. Mix well.
- Pour the applesauce mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few streaks remain. Fold in the strawberries and mix until just combined - do not over mix. The batter will be lumpy.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan. If desired, sprinkle the tops with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.