These one-bowl cinnamon muffins use an entire cup of sourdough starter discard!
I hope you aren’t getting tired of all the sourdough discard recipes yet. Because I’ve got another one for you today! These are fabulous one-bowl cinnamon muffins. And guess what – it uses an entire cup of sourdough discard! Why throw it away when you can make cinnamon muffins, right?
Because I don’t like boring muffins, I added some cinnamon baking chips to mine. If they are not your thing, you can leave them out or use regular chocolate chips. Or, you can sprinkle some coarse sugar on top for a fun and crunchy texture contrast.
Thankfully, because these muffins were made in one bowl, there was minimal cleanup. And, they only took about 15 minutes to put together. I found that the 20 minutes baking time wasn’t quite enough for my batch, so I baked closer to 23 minutes. Keep an eye on these and take them out when they are firm to the touch (and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
We have been happily eating these for breakfasts and snacks and I’m happy to have found another great use of my sourdough discard!
Husband’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
My rating: 4.5 out of 5
Sourdough discard cinnamon muffins
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter discard unfed
- ½ cup cinnamon baking chips optional
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Grease or line a muffin pan with paper liners (I used a silicone muffin pan and did not line or grease it). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add in the applesauce, sugars, vanilla, milk, and egg. Add in the sourdough starter and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the cinnamon chips if using.
- Evenly distribute the batter to your prepared baking pan, filling each well at least ¾ full. Top with additional cinnamon chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before enjoying.