If you’re in need for more sourdough discard recipes, look no further. This one is wonderful and makes a scrumptious breakfast or snack!
After the holidays, I decided to wake up my sourdough starter. It had been a while since I had made sourdough bread, so I was ready to try it again. Since mine had been inactive for a while, it took about 4-5 days of constant feeding (twice a day) to reactivate it.
While that was happening, I started going nuts on my sourdough discard recipes. This one popped up in my internet search when I looked for muffin recipes.
Much to my delight, the recipe leveraged a good amount of sourdough discard. The batter took no time to mix together, and the muffins baked in 20 minutes. That’s a win for sure.
My family wasn’t even able to taste the hint of tangy-ness from the sourdough discard. In their eyes, this was a solid chocolate chip muffin recipe. We happily ate these up pretty quickly and had them all throughout the day – for breakfasts and snacks.
Husband’s rating: 4 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4 out of 5
My rating: 4 out of 5
Sourdough discard chocolate chip muffins
- 110 grams sourdough starter discard
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan (I used a silicone muffin pan and did not grease or line it).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, mix together the sourdough discard, egg, melted butter, milk, and sugar on medium speed until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- Turn your mixer to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Turn the mixer off and gently fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about ½ to ¾ full. If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.