If you need an idea for your sourdough discard, look no further. You can make a fabulous batch of chocolate chip muffins!
When we were in Hawaii during July, I was fortunate enough to have a friend babysit my sourdough starter. My pairs partner and his wife have their own sourdough starters (named Tonya and Nancy). Since they knew what they were doing, I asked them to take care of mine for the 4 weeks that we were gone.
Thankfully, my sourdough (named Puumba Junior) behaved while I was away. It only needed to be fed twice, and he even produced a wonderful loaf of bread for my pairs partner.
When I returned home, I scrambled to find something suitable to make with my discard. Naturally (and not surprisingly), muffins came to mind. So here we are!
These muffins were my breakfasts for several days and even served as snacks for my husband and daughter. I would recommend storing them in the refrigerator after a day or so to prevent any mold from growing. You can reheat them in the microwave as well.
All in all, these were a solid muffin and great use of sourdough discard.
Husband’s rating: 3.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 3.5 out of 5
My rating: 3.5 out of 5
Sourdough discard chocolate chip muffins
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons milk of choice
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter discard unfed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside. I used a silicone muffin pan and did not grease or line it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, milk, egg, sourdough starter, and vanilla until well combined. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well at least 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes put clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.