Fun, colorful M&Ms are sprinkled throughout these soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies. These soft and chewy M&M chocolate chip cookies are bound to put a smile on your face!
For those that follow me on Facebook, you saw that I had an epic baking fail with M&M cookies a few weeks ago. My dough was too soft, so my cookies spread like wildfire. It was ugly. The cookies were pretty dang tasty though, so they definitely had that going for them.
I am here to redeem myself from that baking mess. This time, I used a different recipe and chilled my dough.
I am happy to report back that these cookies turned out much, much better. I actually used sticks of shortening instead of butter in this particular recipe, so my cookies spread a little bit more than I wanted them to. Next time, I’m sticking with butter.
Despite the flat cookies, they tasted amazing. The cookies were nice and chewy and held up for over a week at room temperature. You can customize the M&M colors to whatever occasion you’re celebrating. Think sporting team colors, holidays, birthdays, graduations and anything else that requires cookies. Just make sure to chill the dough or else you’ll end up with cookie blobs like I did (unless that’s you’re thing… then go ahead!).
Soft and chewy M&M chocolate chip cookies
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups M&M candies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter, sugars and vanilla together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one by one, until each is fully incorporated. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is just incorporated - do not over mix.
- Turn the mixer off and fold in the M&Ms and chocolate chips by hand. Using a cookie scoop or two spoons, scoop out the dough and place on your prepared cookie sheet. Make sure to space out the dough balls so there is at least 1"-2" between each cookie. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies in your preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden. Do not over bake.