Soft and chewy chocolate cookies topped with gooey melted marshmallows! Mix things up with your favorite flavored marshmallows. Don’t forget the chocolate drizzle on top!
Fall is finally here. I’m happy because it’s my favorite season of the year. Not only are the mosquitoes finally starting to go away (in fact, I just got bit in mid-October!!!), but the leaves are slowly starting to turn bright red and orange.
There’s definitely a little bit of a chill in the air, and as a result, the skating rink has been more than frigid. I needed something to warm up my soul and my feet and decided to bake some soft and chewy chocolate cookies. But not just any chocolate cookies. Ones with melted flavored marshmallows! I was missing my summer strawberries so I featured strawberries & cream Smashmallows in these. I threw in a few mocha chip Smashmallows too… just because.
And of course, I had to put a chocolate drizzle on top. If you have to ask why, then I am afraid you and I can no longer be friends. Kidding…maybe.
These cookies. Oh my goodness. The cookies themselves were soft and chewy with the perfect texture. Then you add on a melted flavored marshmallow and WHOAH. The extra bit of melted chocolate on the top was just… extra. Talk about a perfect cookie.
I shared these with some skating friends and several of them ate more than one. I was tempted to as well but refrained this time. I have to say that these are definitely one of my all-time favorite cookies to date. I can’t wait to make them again!
Soft and chewy chocolate cookies with melted marshmallows
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Oatly chocolate milk can substitute with milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Smashmallow marshmallows I used a package of strawberries & cream and a few mocha chip ones; you can substitute with jumbo marshmallows that are cut in half
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the egg, milk and vanilla extract. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until everything just comes together.
- Using a cookie scoop (or two spoons), spoon moundfuls of dough onto your prepared baking sheets. The cookie dough balls should be slightly smaller than a golf ball. Make sure you leave at least 2 inches in between each cookie dough ball.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 4 minutes. Then rotate and flip the pans (so that the pan that was on the lower rack is now on the top; also make sure you rotate the pans from forwards to backwards). Bake for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and gently press a Smashmallow on top of each cookie. Return to the oven to bake for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. If the marshmallows haven't fully melted, gently press down on them so the insides start to ooze out.
- If desired, you can drizzle the tops with melted chocolate, sprinkles, chocolate curls or whatever makes you happy.