Skinny double chocolate Greek yogurt muffins are a breeze to make and satisfy even the pickiest of family members! With no butter or oil, these muffins will sure to become a new favorite!
One sunny weekend morning, I was a madwoman in the kitchen. I had to prep for lunch (we make a homemade version of chicken and dumplings that is a family favorite – I still need to share my recipe for that with you all). I also wanted to bake a few things and these muffins were on the list.
As usual, we were running out of breakfast items other than your standard cereal and and granola bars. I knew that chocolate muffins would go over well with both my husband and daughter, so I quickly whipped these up.
Once these muffins were in the oven, I moved on to the next thing and then made our lunch. It was a whirlwind of a morning, but these muffins were the item that took the least amount of time. Two bowls, a quick stir for each, and then a quick mix together. Throw on in some chocolate chips and bake.
What I love about these muffins, other than the chocolate, is that these are skinny muffins. That means there’s no butter or oil and can be made even healthier if you use all white whole wheat flour. Use your favorite type of milk and chocolate chips and these could even be vegan if you tried.
Skinny double chocolate Greek yogurt muffins
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 5.3 ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 full. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.