2024 Skating Goals
Now that I’ve recapped my 2023 skating goals, it’s time to declare my goals for 2024. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Get the Adult Junior Moves (Pre-Gold Skating Skills) test-ready. I am NOT declaring that I will test these in 2024, but I would like to make substantial progress on them so that I can be closer to testing these skating skills. At the moment, the hardest elements for me are the diagonal chocktaw pattern (dang you, closed hips!!) and the diagonal rocker-rocker pattern. Both of these have to be done with incredible speed, and I am going realllllly slowly at the moment. My coach has told me that the rocker-rocker pattern has the highest concussion rate of any skating skills test that she’s witnessed over her 25+ year coaching history. Yikes! Send some padding and a helmet!
- Add a new spin to my repertoire. When I first started working with my spin coach, I had maybe 2 spins under my belt. I had a change foot sit spin and a poorly executed camel-sit-upright combination spin. Now, I have a larger spin repertoire to choose from, and I want to continue expanding my skill set. That way, we have more options to build a spin that works best for my abilities. I’m excited to keep working on new positions and features!
- Fine tune my mental game. This goal keeps appearing year over year. I had made great progress in 2022, but because I did not compete after Adult Nationals that year, I had to claw my way back on my mental game. It was not great this year, but I have hope that I can continue to improve my self-talk and stay more in the moment during competition.
- Add a new pairs element. We’ve been hoping to execute a proper death spiral, but why limit my goals to that one element? I’m keeping the door open on this so we can keep exploring what might work for us. This could be a jump, spin, lift, or something else. Let’s see how the year goes!
- Land a(nother) clean double salchow. I’ve landed a handful of these in the past 6-7 years and want to land another clean one in 2024. If and when I do, I want to use that momentum to make it more consistent.
If you are a skater, what are your goals for the new year?