Novice Moves – Judges’ Test Forms and Feedback
Here are the judges’ test forms from my Novices Moves in the Field Test that I passed in December. I took these virtually as Adult 21+ and somehow passed on my first attempt.
We had filmed one attempt in my regular lesson but I had a few bobbles on the twizzles and my forward loops were really bad. I came back to the rink the next morning to film another attempt, and that felt much better so I sent it in.
Overall, here are the comments. I will mark the scores as such: (Judge 1, Judge 2, Judge 3).
- Inside 3-turns/rocker chocktaws (-1, 0, 1). Three turns very deliberate. Some issues. Rockers very deliberate. Transitions past center. Power and quickness OK.
- Forward and backward outside counters (0, +1, +1). Good turns, good edges. Power OK. Left: bit of inconsistency with forward crossovers. Right: Mostly edges in and out.
- Forward and backward inside counters (+1, +1, 0). Most good. Minor subcurve on some backward insides. Right: bit forced. Connecting edges OK. Left: OK rhythm.
- Forward Loops (-1, -1, 0). Both outside and inside lacked flow. Some wobbles. Slowly skated.
- Backward rocker chocktaw sequence (0, 0, 1). Edges and extension good. Power OK. Left: tended to fall back on chocktaw. Right: OK extension, balance OK on chocktaw.
- Backward twizzles (+1, 0, 0). Outside: some double 3-turns. Most OK. Inside: Most good.
So it appears that my weakest move were the forward loops (no surprise there) and the counters were my strongest. My coach had told me that the backward rocker chocktaw sequence was my strongest move but they didn’t show up the day I filmed these.
Oh well. I am still on cloud 9 and am excited to move on to Junior Moves!