First of all, Merry Christmas to all my friends who celebrate this holiday! I hope that it is filled with humor and joy.
I’m here to share my 2021 skating goals, so here they are in no particular order:
- Continue to work on skating skills and presentation: I’m not sure what 2021 will bring or whether we’ll have competitions. Regardless, I would like to continue to strengthen my skating skills. That would mean working on more moves-in-the-field, edge work and exercises to generate more power and flow. I need to find ways to “act” on ice so that I can tell a compelling story.
- Continue to work on my mental game: As you may have guessed, I get anxiety during tests and competitions. It’s not to the point where it’s debilitating, but it’s still a hurdle nonetheless. I’d like to keep working on techniques to stay in the moment and not worry about the future. This will always be a goal for me, even when I feel like things have improved a thousandfold.
- Learn a new spin: This year, I learned a few new spin positions. I’d like to continue building on my spin repertoire so that I have more options to choose from when we finalize my program.
- Land a fully clean double jump: I’m not specifying what kind. I’ll take a salchow, toe loop, or anything beyond that.
- Find time to focus more off-ice: I found tremendous value working off-ice this spring. I’d like to continue to set aside time to keep it up. In addition, I have been stretching everyday and have noticed my flexibility improving. My hope is to continue training my body on land so that it can be stronger on ice.
What are your goals (skating or not) for 2021?