Is there a flavor combination more classic than peanut butter and jelly? Probably not, unless you count peanut butter and chocolate. When these salted peanut butter and jelly blondies appeared in a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine, my husband pretty much stopped what he was doing and asked me to make these.
Luckily, I took a photo of these before my blondies got burnt. I realized that the centers of the bars were a bit underdone, so I turned the oven back on low and popped the blondies in for another 5 minutes. I went upstairs to do something and when I came back downstairs, I smelled something burning. Yup, my beautiful bars had burnt to a crisp, so I was barely able to salvage the lower third layer of my blondies. Le sigh.
After you take these out from the oven, check and see if the middles are done. They should be slightly gooey and will firm up a bit, but please learn from my mistake and do not bake for another 5 minutes. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a burnt, smelly mess.
P.S. My husband did like the flavors of these blondies, even though he only ate the bottom third layer. Since I don’t eat peanut butter, I didn’t taste these.
Salted peanut butter and jelly blondies
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter not all-natural
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons jam of choice
- 1 Tablespoons honey-roasted peanuts chopped (I omitted)
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease or line an 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, peanut butter, melted butter and vanilla. Gently fold into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is uniform.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan. Dollop the jam on top of the peanut butter batter and swirl with a knife. Top with the chopped peanuts and sprinkle the top with the sea salt.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.