With zucchini season winding down and pumpkin season finally here, this pumpkin zucchini chocolate chip bread marries the two together in perfect harmony. With no oil or butter, this bread is a great way to officially welcome fall!
Guess what? It’s finally time to start baking with pumpkin! Several of my blogging friends started in August, but that’s way too early for me. We were still experiencing 90+ degree weather, so it didn’t feel like fall yet.
A few weeks ago, our grocery store started putting out the pumpkins and all things cinnamon. They placed these fall decorations outside near the store entrance and I couldn’t help but take in all the spices and aromas. Ahh.
So I decided it was finally time to break out the canned pumpkin. Our CSA delivered more zucchini (yay) that was just begging to be used so pumpkin zucchini chocolate chip bread it was.
I was tempted to halve this recipe but decided against it so I could share one loaf and eat the other on my own gift the other to a friend or neighbor.
Pumpkin zucchini chocolate chip bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease two standard 9"x5" loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and applesauce. Add in the eggs and mix well. Gently fold in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg until a few dry streaks remain. Add in the pumpkin and zucchini. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix the batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared loaf pans and bake in your preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before serving.