Are you ready for another pumpkin recipe? My family and I were invited to my friend K’s house for her annual Halloween bash. Even though she told me not to bring anything, I wanted to bake something pumpkin-y for everyone. I didn’t feel like baking cookies so I decided to make pumpkin s’mores bars.
I saw this recipe appear in my RSS feed and knew that this is what I wanted to make. It’s been a while since I’ve made s’mores bars, and I was itching to bake with pumpkin again this month.
The pumpkin layer is very cake-like, so this tasted more like a pumpkin s’mores cake than a true bar. Regardless, my husband really enjoyed these and has already elevated this to his Top 10 list. And this is coming from a former pumpkin hater. The soft and chewy pumpkin cake is topped with graham cracker bits, melted chocolate and mini marshmallows. If you are a fan of pumpkin and s’mores, then you will enjoy these pumpkin s’mores bars.
Pumpkin s'mores bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice if you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, plus 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg plus 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice. You can also add a pinch of ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 graham crackers broken into chunks
- 3 1.45-ounce chocolate bars chopped (I did not chop mine and just broke them into pieces)
- 1 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or line a standard 9 x13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Then add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until they are fully incorporated. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to mix. The batter might look a bit curdled (like cottage cheese) but that is OK. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly and gently add in the dry ingredients. Mix until it is just combined - do not over mix.
- Evenly spread the batter into your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the graham cracker chunks on top. Add the chocolate pieces on top of the graham cracker layer and then top with the mini marshmallows.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with some wet crumbs.
- Turn off the oven, remove the pan from the oven and allow it cool completely before slicing into bars.