These pretzel covered meatballs are guaranteed to be a hit at your next party! Hearty meatballs are encased in a soft and chewy pretzel. Dunk them in your favorite marinara sauce!
Every year, I make a load of appetizers for the big football game in January. While I don’t really care who wins, I’m all about the commercials. My husband will call me when it’s commercial time, and then my eyes are glued to the screen.
One year, I made these pretzel covered meatballs. They were a big hit, since they were devoured immediately by my family of 3. We barely had any left over. For whatever reason, I haven’t made these since that day.
A few weekends ago, I remedied that by making the meatballs once more. This time, I made my own pizza dough (the last time I used a pre-made one from the grocery store). While the homemade dough takes a tad longer to make, it’s worth it in the end. My crust was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I didn’t add salt on the outside since I was already going to dunk my meatballs into some marinara.
As predicted, we demolished these meatballs again. Surprisingly, we actually had a few left over. But, I suspect it’s because I also made a batch of copycat Pokey Stix to complement these.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
Pretzel covered meatballs
- 1 pound pizza dough homemade* or ready-to-use, room temperature
- 16 meatballs thawed
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 5 cups water
- 1 egg beaten
- coarse salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking pan (with high sides) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide your dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough out into a circle. Place one meatball into each circle and pinch the seams shut. Repeat with other dough and meatballs.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add the baking soda and allow to boil again.
- Working in batches, gently drop the meatballs into the baking soda water and allow to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the balls from the water and place onto your prepared baking pan. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle salt on top. Bake in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.