These peppermint frosted brownies are thick and chewy and full of peppermint flavor! They are also frosted with a generous layer of peppermint buttercream. Decorate the frosting with some of your favorite sprinkles or even crushed peppermint!
Every year the rink performs a holiday show. This year’s theme was The Toy Box, and my friend K and I partnered up again for a fun duet (last year we were Tonya and Nancy, which was such a hoot). We brainstormed many ideas over the summer and eventually settled on Toy Story. She would be Jessie, while I would play Woody (I shared the video here).
The holiday show has two performances, and each year after the final show, the adults get together for some fun. Last year, there were some crazy shenanigans in one of the hockey locker rooms. I left early but remember seeing videos of my pairs partner trying to do pairs lifts with other adult skaters, including guys. It was hilarious!
But one of the aspects of the adult after-party is the food. Last year I brought these brownies and this year I made a variation of them. Rather than do a chocolate buttercream, I made a peppermint buttercream instead for some extra minty goodness.
I won’t share with you what type of shenanigans happened at this year’s after party, but I will share that these brownies were phenomenal and a hit at the after party. I doubled the frosting below and personally enjoyed the thick layer of frosting so there was a high frosting-to-brownie ratio, but if you want your brownies a little less sweet, then follow the instructions as-is. Of course the two different types of sprinkles made these more fun and festive too.
Hope you all had a great holiday!
Peppermint frosted brownies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Peppermint buttercream (I doubled the recipe below)
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8″x8″ pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter completely. Add in the sugar and mix well. Then add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each addition. Then fold in the cocoa, flour, salt and peppermint extract until everything comes together and the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the middle is barely set (the brownies will set as they cool).
- While the brownies are cooling, make the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time. Slowly add in the milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Finally, add the peppermint extract.
- Once the brownies have finished cooling, frost with the chocolate buttercream and top with your favorite sprinkles or other decorations if desired