I love peppermint bark. The first time I tried it was from one of those pre-packaged tins from Williams-Sonoma. I remember balking at the price tag because it was close to $20 for a small tin. After I refined my baking skills over the years, I sought to recreate this wonderful holiday treat.
I’ve worked with candy melts before and knew that I could make a version of peppermint bark using this no-fuss ingredient. In fact, my peppermint bark recipe only uses 4 total ingredients! I know that there are other recipes floating out there, but I honestly haven’t seen them and like my super simple version. If I have the time (and money) to make a more expensive version, I might try it one day. But not today.
This is a treat that I make every holiday season to give away as presents. I give them to coworkers, my skating friends, my husband’s swimming buddies and our daughter’s daycare providers. Next time you see a package or tin of peppermint bark in the store, why don’t you pass on it and try to make it at home instead?
- 1 package white chocolate candy melts can use white chocolate as a substitute
- 1 package dark chocolate candy melts can use regular dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Crush the peppermints with a rolling pin, hammer or other heavy object. Set aside.
- Over a double boiler or in a microwave, melt the dark chocolate. Using an offset spatula, spread melted chocolate on a sheet of waxed paper lined on a cookie sheet. Let it set until dry.
- Once dark chocolate is dry, melt the white chocolate using the same method. Once the white chocolate is melted, add the peppermint extract. Stir quickly or else the white chocolate will seize. Again, using an offset spatula, spread the white chocolate over the dark chocolate. Try to cover as much of the dark chocolate as you can.
- Immediately after spreading the white chocolate, sprinkle the top with the crushed peppermint or candy cane pieces.
- Let the bark dry, break into pieces, and enjoy!