Every time we receive peaches in our biweekly CSA box, my husband starts belting out the “Peaches” song from the 90s (by The Presidents of the United States of America). It’s pretty funny. I love fresh peaches this time of year and never quite know what to do with them other than eat them plain or put them into smoothies.
Since our muffin supply was getting low (you all know how much I love to bake muffins), I had to make another batch for our breakfasts. I have become a big fan of baking with Greek yogurt so I made some peach pie muffins this time.
My muffins were a bit underbaked, so they got a little soggy. Despite that setback, the flavor of the muffins was wonderful. Every bite contained large chunks of peaches, and the Greek yogurt gave the muffins a bit of tanginess. With only 1/3 cup of sugar in the 12-muffin batch, these muffins got most of their sweetness from the freshly ripened peaches. These muffins would also be wonderful with some streusel topping if that’s how you roll.
Peach pie Greek yogurt muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 TBSP cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt I used Chobani 0% plain
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped fresh peaches
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a standard muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the Greek yogurt, sugar, egg and applesauce until well mixed. Add the vanilla and mix again.
- Transfer the dry ingredients into the Greek yogurt mixture and use as few strokes as possible to incorporate the flour. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the peaches.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin tin and fill each well about 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with raw (turbinado) sugar.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.