A pumpkin chocolate chip bread that features whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt and but no butter or oil! This one bowl Greek yogurt pumpkin chocolate chip bread will be loved by both adults and kids alike!
‘Tis the season for more pumpkin recipes. I’ve featured several pumpkin recipes here and have also baked with acorn squash and butternut squash. I thought it was time to go back to trusty old pumpkin recipes but make this one a bit healthier.
This classic pumpkin chocolate chip bread features whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. In lieu of oil, we use pumpkin puree and applesauce. That means no butter or oil!
We loved this bread so much that I made it twice in two weeks. In fact, this bread became my breakfast every day. Addie fought me over the last slice (I let her eat it, naturally) and proceeded to get chocolate all over her mouth.
When I made this bread the first time, I found it to be on the dry side. The second time I made it, I added some unsweetened applesauce and then the bread was much better. My husband and I both agreed that the bread needed extra liquid ingredients so it wouldn’t dry out quickly. I’ve made those updates below.
I hope you enjoy this.
One bowl Greek yogurt pumpkin chocolate chip bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 6 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose or do a mixture of both
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a spatula. Add in the pumpkin, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Slowly fold in the flour and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until they are fully incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared pan and bake in your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool before serving.