Gingerbread season is not over yet – keep the spiciness from the holidays alive in these one bowl gingerbread muffins. Cleanup is such a breeze!
Why is it that gingerbread is normally only eaten over the holidays? I’m here to change that, starting with these muffins.
I say holiday flavored things (peppermint, gingerbread, etc) should be able to be enjoyed year-round. When you’re having a bad day and need a little holiday spirit, bake up some gingerbread muffins like these.
They are soft, fluffy and full of gingerbread flavor. These muffins won’t shed crumbs everywhere so no worries about getting little bits of muffin all over your floor (or your shirt – I’m not judging).
Want to dress these up a bit? Add some frosting on top for an even more decadent breakfast or snack. And as an added bonus, these are all mixed in one bowl and contain no butter or oil.
One bowl gingerbread muffins
- 1 super ripe small/medium sized banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup molasses not blackstrap
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the banana and egg. Add in the vanilla and mix well. Add in the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and mix thoroughly. Add in the applesauce, molasses, and milk and mix well. Then add the sugars and mix well.
- Slowly fold in the flour, and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter evenly into your muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 10 minutes. Then turn down the temperature to 375 degrees F, rotate the pan, and bake an additional 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.