If you love butterscotch, then you will fall in love with these one bowl butterscotch muffins!
Every week I ask my family if they have any dessert requests. My husband tends to ask for peanut butter items while Addie wants butterscotch pudding all the time. Rather than make another batch of pudding, I thought it might be fun to bake something using butterscotch chips instead.
And since we are a muffin-loving family (seriously, I need to rename this blog to Eva Bakes Muffins!), I made butterscotch muffins. I found a recipe from Hershey and adapted it to make it healthier for my family. I used all whole-wheat flour and did not use any oil or butter.
While my muffins baked up on the smaller side (they were much shorter and denser than all of the other muffins I’ve baked here), I still enjoyed them. I dispersed my batter so I could get 12 muffins so I used less batter in each muffin well. If you want to get taller, fuller muffins, you may not have enough batter for 12 muffins, so just know that in advance.
Addie was happy that I made something butterscotch for her and really enjoyed these muffins. They are best eaten the same day and will start to get a little stale the next day but can be kept in the refrigerator. We found that the flavors started to get jumbled after a day or so in the refrigerator so keep that in mind if you bake these.
One bowl butterscotch muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add in the egg, milk and applesauce and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well at least 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.