A hearty muffin packed with rolled oats and chocolate chip and topped with a generous scoop of a fantastic oatmeal chocolate chip streusel. These are one of my favorite muffins to date!
There are muffins, and there are muffins. Having baked 70+ muffins on this blog, I fully understand what kinds of muffin recipes will be a hit in my family and which ones will be meh. These were most definitely a hit.
Now, although these aren’t completely healthy for you, they are healthier when compared to other classic muffins out there. I used white whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt and even swapped out the oil in the muffin base for unsweetened applesauce. Yes, there is a bit of oil in the streusel, but you could just leave the streusel off completely. But that would be a big mistake because the streusel really makes these muffins WOW.
I mean, the muffins are already nice and hearty from the oats, but the crispy, crunchy and sweet streusel topping turn an average muffin into a superstar. Like the kind you could sell in a bakery.
These muffins are best when they are still slightly warm so that the chocolate is all melty and gets all over your fingers and mouth. It’s inevitable that the brown sugar streusel will fall and get your fingers all sticky sweet, but that’s the point. Just lick your fingers and you’ll be all good.
Since I adored these muffins so much, I have no doubt that they will be on the regular rotation here at the Eva Bakes house. Next time I’ll see if I can make the streusel a tad healthier.
Oatmeal chocolate chip Greek yogurt muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 5.3 ounce container plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and Greek yogurt.
- Pour the applesauce mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin wells, filling each about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the streusel ingredients together with a fork or small spatula until crumbs form. Generously top each muffin well with a spoonful (or two!) of streusel.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The streusel should be golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.