Gooey fudge-like brownies are jam packed with chocolate chips and Nutella – these are going to be your new favorite brownies!
My family and I had just gotten back from visiting family in the Midwest, and I was tired. Our flights were delayed due to weather, and we didn’t get home until close to midnight. This was one of the rare times when all three of us slept in and didn’t wake up until about 8:30am.
It was also my husband and my 13th wedding anniversary. Since we didn’t have too much time that day to make something elaborate, I decided on Nutella brownies. Addie mentioned that she really liked the Nutella brownies from a local dessert restaurant, so I tried to recreate some at home.
While I normally like doing something Hawaii-related for our anniversary (since that is where we went on our honeymoon, 1-year anniversary and our baby moon), I figured that we’d already gone to Hawaii for Spring Break this year… so chocolate was the next best option. I purposely underbaked these slightly so they would be nice and gooey. Plus I added some additional Nutella on top for an extra punch of flavor.
These brownies really hit the spot. My husband grilled steaks for us and we also had fresh sweet corn. It was nice to eat at home after being gone for several days. All in all, we had a wonderful, uneventful anniversary. Just the way I like it!
- 1 stick (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Additional Nutella for swirling optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter completely. Add the sugar and mix constantly until most of the sugar has dissolved. Do not allow the sugar mixture to boil. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the Nutella and mix well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, add the eggs, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla. Then pour in the Nutella mixture and mix on medium speed until well blended. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour and mix until everything just comes together.
- Turn the mixer off and fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and be sure to smooth the top.
- Add dollops of additional Nutella and swirl with a knife. Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little bit of batter.