Thick and fudgy Nutella brownies are smooth, rich and a chocolate lovers dream! Drizzle with whipped cream, ice cream or caramel for an even more decadent dessert!
My brother, sister-in-law and nephew came to visit us a few weeks ago. We didn’t have anything planned for their visit so just played things by ear. One thing that I had been hoping to do was visit a (new-to-me) dessert bar that opened up about 2 years ago. And when I say dessert bar, I truly mean dessert bar – they have both desserts and adult beverages. Genius!
Naturally, my dessert-loving family had a difficult time deciding what to order. I usually go for items that I don’t typically make at home so I can indulge in something new. Addie, being the 7-year old she is, does not go by this strategy. She orders whatever she wants to order, regardless if I make it at home or not.
The dessert that caught her eye were the Nutella brownies. I wasn’t too sure about ordering the brownie since it was similar to ones I’d made before. But, we ordered one anyway so we could keep the peace and not cause a scene at the restaurant.
The brownie was thick and rich, and warm from being in the oven. My first thought was, “I could make this.” At that point, my husband turned to me and said the same thing. Challenge accepted.
So here I am, with a decadent Nutella brownie that you can dress up or down and share (or not). I would argue that this is best served slightly warm and with some warm caramel sauce and your favorite vanilla ice cream. Grab a spoon or a fork and dig in.
- 1 cup (170 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 sticks (12 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces (113 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (150 grams) Nutella
- 1 and 1/4 cups (245 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (96 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, butter, and chopped chocolate. Microwave for about a minute and stir everything together. Keep microwaving in 15-second increments until the mixture is smooth and there are no more lumps. Allow to cool slightly, then mix in the Nutella and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, mix the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk together on medium speed until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Then add in the chocolate mixture.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix until everything is just combined.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and bake in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Do not over bake (it's better to yield on the side of underbaking for a fudgy center or else your brownies will be dry and gross).
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving. Feel free to drizzle with caramel and/or top with whipped cream or ice cream for an even more decadent dessert.