A rich and fudge-like mocha brownie that’s bursting with chocolate chips! This brownie comes together very quickly and can be made in one bowl (no stand mixer required)!
I had one of those weeks at work where I felt exhausted for some reason. Maybe it’s because I had expected to be gone half the week for jury duty, only to have it cancelled. Mentally, I thought I’d get a break on Wednesday, but with my civic duty cancelled, I would have a full work week.
There’s been a lot going on at the office (in a good way), and my brain just wasn’t able to function properly. I came home and needed some brownies. Better yet, make that mocha brownies.
Now I’m not a coffee drinker but do adore coffee-flavored things. These brownies were certainly up my alley. Rather than simply adding instant espresso powder to the batter, the powder is dissolved in hot water for a more intense coffee flavor.
I was able to mix up the batter very quickly and in one bowl (minus the dissolving of the espresso powder – that I just did in a very small prep bowl). My brownies were ready to go by the time I had to leave for the rink to teach a class.
Make sure that you don’t over bake these. I put mine in the oven for 30 minutes and felt like it was too much, as my brownies were drier than I expected. They were still chewy and fudge-like, but they could have been even more so. I’d recommend baking these for 25 minutes and checking from there. Remember, the brownies will start to firm up while they cool and will be even better if you allow them to chill in the refrigerator (if you can wait that long).
Mocha chocolate chip brownies
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 4 Tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, microwave the chopped chocolate and butter (I heated mine up for about 45 seconds, stirred and heated for another 25 seconds). Stir well until smooth.
- Mix in the sugar until well incorporated. Add in the eggs, one by one, until each one is fully incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Dissolve the espresso powder in the 4 Tablespoons of hot water. Add this to the batter.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and smooth out the top. Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with some moist crumbs. You'll want to make sure you don't over bake your brownies so they're still a little gooey.
- Allow the brownies to cool before slicing and serving. These are best after they've been refrigerated.