Mini banana chocolate chip muffins are perfect for small hands. Or, eat a few without feeling too guilty!
Addie’s preschool recently had an end-of-year sleepover. Yes, a sleepover. With preschool kids. When we told her about this event, she went bananas (pun intended). This was her first sleepover, and she was extremely excited.
The cost of “admission” for the sleepover was a brand new board game and a nut-free breakfast item. Since I am still obsessed with muffins, I decided to bake some mini muffins. I knew the kids would have a bunch sugary cereals and other processed things so I wanted to make something small and homemade that they could enjoy. I settled on mini banana chocolate chip muffins.
This muffin recipe made enough for 24 mini muffins plus 4 regular sized ones. I really enjoyed the regular muffins (I was quality controlling for the kids, of course) and found it a bit on the sweet side. I’d recommend cutting down the sugar to 1/2 cup or less and baking for less time than the original recipe (suggestions noted below).
While Addie did not eat any of these muffins the morning after the sleepover, she had a great time. They played games, watched a movie and went to bed around 11pm. Most of the kids were up before 7am, so it was a long night for those courageous teachers that chaperoned the event. It’s still hard to believe that my little girl is now a kindergartener!
Mini banana chocolate chip muffins
- 3 large bananas
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease a mini muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, smash the bananas. Add the sugar, egg and applesauce and mix well.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Gently mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything is just combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for about 15 minutes (check after 10 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.