This marbled vanilla and chocolate bread is a beautiful sight – with equal parts vanilla and chocolate, everyone will enjoy this soft loaf!
The holidays were approaching, and we were cleaning out the refrigerator. We didn’t want to make anything that would have yielded a ton of leftovers since we were traveling to see family. However, we were running out of things to eat for breakfast besides cereal and granola bars.
I asked Addie what to make and she mentioned bread. We thought about cinnamon bread, but I wanted something that would freeze well. My intention was to bake something that we could eat before our trip and then freeze for us to enjoy after we returned. The idea of a marbled bread came to mind as I was brainstorming. Since the bread didn’t contain any fruits, it wouldn’t get freezer burn easily.
Unfortunately, I did not do a good job reading the instructions before I made this bread because I missed two crucial steps. First, I forgot to marble the bread with a knife. Second, I didn’t cover the bread halfway through baking. So here’s what happened: the bread turned out really well, and the marbling effect wasn’t that big of a deal. And while the exterior of the bread was a bit crusty, the insides were still soft and fluffy. In other words, everything still worked out.
While the perfectionist in me was annoyed that I missed these steps in the process, the bread still turned out to be pretty awesome. I was afraid that the bread would be dry but it wasn’t. The three of us each ate a slice a few hours after it finished baking, and all three of us gave it a big thumbs up.
The next time I make this marbled vanilla and chocolate bread, I will be sure to read the recipe more carefully!
Chocolate marbled bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 5.3 ounce container nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9" x 5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, and Greek yogurt.
- Pour the Greek yogurt mixture into the the large bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Take about half the mixture and put it into a separate small bowl. Fold in the the cocoa powder.
- Alternately add layers of the vanilla batter and the chocolate batter into your prepared loaf pan. Swirl the bread with a butter knife or spatula.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. About 30 minutes into baking you should cover the top of the bread with aluminum foil so the bread doesn't burn.