I love lemon bars. I used to make them from a box all the time and never attempted to make them from scratch until now. Although there are tons of recipes on the interwebs, I didn’t want to try one that was overly complicated or contained a lot of ingredients. Oh, and I only had the juice of one lemon (I used the zest to make a batch of Lärabars).
Eventually, I found these luscious lemon bars on Pizzazzerie, and it looked promising. Since the full recipe called for the juice of two lemons, I had to cut the recipe in half (changes are not reflected below). I also adjusted the baking times since I didn’t make the full recipe.
These luscious lemon bars were good, but they were not my favorite lemon bars. The filling wasn’t lemon-y enough for me, and it wasn’t quite as soft as I wanted them. I’ll be on the lookout for another recipe to try. I was proud of making these from scratch and forgoing the box mix though!
Luscious lemon bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons juiced
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the crust
- Mix the butter, 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (I made half a recipe and baked for 15 minutes) in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden.
Make the filling
- Whisk together the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour in a separate bowl. Mix in the eggs and lemon juice and pour over the baked crust. Bake for an additional 20 minutes (my half recipe baked for 15 minutes).
- After the bars have cooled, cut and serve.