Intensely lemony lemon muffins with a soft and tender crumble are sure to brighten your day! One bite and you’ll wish you baked a double (or triple) batch!
“Mommy! There’s too much lemon in these!” That was the phrase I heard my daughter say when I made a mango lassi recipe from the last issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It called for the juice of 1 lemon, and apparently, my little girl was not having it. I was planning on making a triple batch so everyone in my family could enjoy the lassi, but I decided not to so I had this one lonely lemon left over.
Naturally, my mind went to muffins. Although I love all things lemon, I’ve only made 2 lemon muffins on this blog (Greek yogurt lemon muffins and lemon poppy seed muffins). It was clearly time for another one, and I made these even more fantastic by adding a low-fuss crumble from my coffee chain blueberry lemon muffins. The best part about baking and cooking is that you get to mix and match your favorite parts of recipes and mash them together, so the crumble just had to be done. #sorrynotsorry
How did our little lemon critic react to these lemon crumble muffins, you wonder. Well, I’ve concluded that she just isn’t a lemon fan, but my husband and I did enjoy these very much. The lemon flavor was there, and it wasn’t overpowering at all. In fact, I think it actually could have used even more lemon so I’d probably double the lemon in the recipe below or even add a hint of lemon extract.
And as expected, the crumble was the best part. Because obviously.
Lemon crumble muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the egg, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Transfer the egg mixture into your large bowl and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 full.
- Make the topping by combining all of the ingredients together until it resembles wet sand. Sprinkle it on top of each muffin.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.