These jumbo blueberry muffins rival those that you’d find in a bakery. They’re made with whole wheat flour and contain no butter or oil!
Ever since I received a jumbo muffin pan for Christmas, I’ve wanted to make lots of things in it. Unfortunately, I just haven’t had the time. I managed to make these jumbo chocolate chip muffins but that was it.
One day, I made these jumbo blueberry muffins because we were running out of breakfast items. We typically do not have a lot of time in the mornings to eat so muffins are always perfect.
I made these jumbo blueberry muffins out of white whole wheat flour. In addition, I used applesauce instead of butter or oil. That makes these healthy, right? Which means that I can eat one jumbo muffin on my own? Please?
My family loved these jumbo blueberry muffins, particularly the crunchy sugar topping. And because each muffin was gigantic, we got to share them. Sharing = caring.
If you’re in need of a breakfast recipe, look no further. These jumbo blueberry muffins are just about as close to perfection as you can get.
Jumbo lemon blueberry muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups blueberries if frozen, do not thaw
- coarse sugar for sprinkling optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a jumbo muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, milk, egg, and lemon extract.
- Transfer the egg mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and fold until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the blueberries and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter to your prepared baking pan, filling each well about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven up to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before serving.