These jumbo bakery style chocolate chip muffins are big, fluffy and full of chocolate chips! They rival those in a bakery or coffee store, except they are secretly healthier!
Although I’m not a coffee drinker, I will happily accompany any family or friends to a coffee store. I love smelling the aroma of coffee, but I never order anything. Rather, I like browsing their pastry case or menus. Often times, I will drool over the big, fluffy muffins and wish that I could bake them at home.
The problem is – was – that I didn’t own a jumbo muffin pan. I added it to my holiday wish list and was delighted when my mother-in-law purchased it for me (thanks, Mom L!). It didn’t take long to decide on these jumbo bakery-style chocolate chip muffins as my first recipe.
Chocolate chip muffins are very popular in my house, especially with a certain 8 year old. And what better way to start off our days with giant muffins? I whipped these up in about 15 minutes and let them bake while my daughter was enjoying one of her favorite TV shows.
Sadly, I realized that I only had a little bit of chocolate chips left so I couldn’t top these off with additional chips. Instead, I sprinkled on some coarse sugar to add a fun crunchy texture.
These jumbo bakery style chocolate chip muffins were a huge hit. We liked the crispy top and the soft fluffy interiors. I only wish we had more of these since the recipe only makes 6!
Jumbo bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Coarse sugar optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Generous grease a jumbo muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well all the way to the top. Sprinkle on a layer of coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then turn down the oven to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool before serving.