Time to be Captain Obvious – it is really, really cold at the skating rink. In the winter, my rink seems to crank up the air conditioning so our toes become as cold as the ice itself. When I get home from skating, I am usually freezing, and it takes me forever to thaw out. One thing I usually crave after returning from the rink is a nice, warm drink like hot chocolate. I’d been eyeing a healthy hot chocolate recipe on Chocolate-Covered Katie but just hadn’t made the time to try it out.
I was recently selected by Sweet’N Low® to blog about a drink recipe using their products. Since Katie’s recipe uses Sweet’N Low®, this was a perfect time to make her hot chocolate!
I had just gotten home from a lesson at the rink and as expected, my toes and hands were frozen. I was craving some homemade hot chocolate but gave away every last bit of my hot cocoa mix for holiday gifts. Enter this healthy hot chocolate.
I loved the fact that Katie’s recipe made a single serving, but I doubled it so I could give my husband a steaming hot cup (hey – I was cold, and I didn’t want to share!). This hot chocolate was so good that I forgot that it was healthy, and as an added bonus, it came together in about 5 minutes. I had a few leftover peppermint marshmallows and added them into my cup, and it gave my beverage a nice minty flavor. If you want, you can add peppermint extract to your hot chocolate base instead.
Thank you, Sweet’N Low®, for giving me this wonderful opportunity!
Healthy hot chocolate
- 2/3 cup milk of choice I used soy
- 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 packages Sweet'N Low®
- Whipped cream or marshmallows optional
- Peppermint extract optional
- Chocolate shavings optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir. Cook on medium heat until hot and completely mixed. Strain the ingredients through a fine mesh sieve and pour into your mug. If desired, you can add whipped cream, marshmallows and/or chocolate shavings on top.
Mmmm, I have been wanting to try coconut milk and never figured to try it with hot chocolate. What a sweet and healthy concoction!!!