Craving brownies but want to eat something healthier? This brownie batter flavored dip is secretly healthy – it’s made out of garbanzo beans! Serve with your favorite fruit or graham crackers!
My family and I were watching Shark Tank the other day when one of the entrepreneurs walked on and tried to get the sharks to partner with her hummus company. This wasn’t just any hummus though – it was a dessert hummus. She had lots of different fun flavors like brownie batter and cookie dough.
This woman sold her hummus for something like $6 or $7 a container, which I thought was really high. Although I wanted to try her hummus, I thought it would be more fun (and a lot cheaper) to make my own.
The next time we went to the grocery store, we bought some canned garbanzo beans and Addie and I made this hummus together. I used Nutella as a mix-in since it seemed to pair well with the hummus and and cocoa powder. If you’re not into Nutella (I can’t believe I’m saying that), then you can definitely use your favorite nut or non-nut spread.
We ate our brownie batter hummus with graham crackers, pretzels and apples. This has been such a huge hit at our house that it was gone in about a day. It definitely tasted like brownie batter, and I threw in some mini chocolate chips for good measure.
I know that dessert hummus recipes have already made their rounds on the internet, but I’m a slow adapter so here I am… a few years late to the party. And speaking of parties, this brownie batter dip would definitely be the hit at a party. I bet nobody would ever guess it’s made of chickpeas unless you told them!
Healthy brownie batter hummus dip
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread I used Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons or more water
- Mini chocolate chips optional
- In a food processor, blend all of the ingredients together except for the water. Once everything comes together, slowly drizzle in the water until you achieve your desired consistency. Fold in the chocolate chips.