This healthier chocolate chip zucchini bread is made with whole wheat flour and contains no oil or butter. It’s a great way to start your day!
Chocolate chip zucchini bread is always a hit at my house. I do my best to cut down on sugar whenever possible and substitute with healthier ingredients where it makes sense.
This particular chocolate chip zucchini bread uses no butter or oil and only white whole wheat flour. While it isn’t health food, it’s definitely healthier than its full-fat counterparts.
If you have time, I’d suggest wringing out the zucchini prior to baking. The extra water in the vegetable causes the bread to get soggy overnight. Plus, the middle might get slightly underbaked.
This healthier chocolate chip zucchini bread was a big hit at the Eva Bakes house. Nobody knew that there were healthier ingredients since it was full of yummy chocolate chips.
Healthier chocolate chip zucchini bread
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose or use 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat
- 1/2 cup brown sugar not packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups shredded zucchini about 1 large zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the vanilla, egg, and applesauce. Transfer this into the large bowl and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the zucchini using as few strokes as possible.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan and bake in your preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before serving.