This healthier banana bread is made with white whole wheat, coconut flour, applesauce and Greek yogurt. Don’t be fooled though, it tastes just as good as the non-healthy versions!
What do you do when you have company over but have nothing to serve for breakfast? You make a batch of these overnight cinnamon rolls and this banana bread. My in-laws drove halfway across the country to visit us recently, and we hadn’t had an opportunity to go to the grocery store. All we had for breakfast options in the house was a box of cereal and some cereal bars. Not exactly a hostess’ dream.
I opened my freezer to see if I had any bananas in there and was relieved to see that I did. While my in-laws went for a coffee run, I whipped up this banana bread. It was done by the time they returned, and they both got to enjoy a slice while it was still warm.
Don’t be perplexed by the coconut flour. The original recipe called for oat flour, but since I already had coconut flour in the pantry, I threw that into the batter. Since my batter seemed a little dry, I added a few tablespoons of applesauce in there too.
The banana bread created a beautiful aroma throughout the house. Since my bread used whole wheat and coconut flour, it was slightly drier than its full-fat (and all-purpose flour) counterparts. But it wasn’t dry. We all agreed that it was a wonderful banana bread, and nobody would even know that this was healthier than most.
Greek yogurt whole wheat banana bread
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup coconut flour can substitute with additional all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 2-3 mashed ripe bananas about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 heaping tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the flour. Remove one Tablespoon of the flour and put it back in the container. Then add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cornstarch and coconut flour.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, yogurt, egg, vanilla, coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and applesauce.
- Transfer the dry ingredients into the large bowl and fold until no dry streaks remain. Do not overmix the batter.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake in your preheated oven for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before serving.