A Greek yogurt pound cake that is free of butter and oil! Enjoy this classic cake without all the guilt!
I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned quite a few times that my standard go-to breakfast item is a toasted English muffin. Occasionally I will switch up the spreads – fruit jam, Nutella, honey, or Biscoff. This humdrum routine gets old fast, and I love finding new and different breakfast treats to up my energy in the morning.
One snack that I used to eat for breakfast as a child was Sara Lee’s pound cake (yes, the ones I found in the frozen section of my grocery store). My dad and I would each eat a big slice of the thawed out pound cake plus a glass of milk. Little did I know what a real pound cake consisted of. And thank goodness that I’ve learned to eat healthier since then.
I can probably count on my fingers how many times I’ve had a pound cake since my childhood years.These days, it’s not my cup of tea to eat something for breakfast that contains a ton of butter, sugar and flour. The thought of a lightened up pound cake sounded really appealing, so I went to find a healthier recipe.
Coincidentally, the kind folks at Chobani sent me some of their Greek yogurt to try. I knew that I could include Chobani into the pound cake recipe to provide protein, moisture and a nice tangy flavor. I’m not going to lie and say that this tastes exactly like a pound cake because it doesn’t. It’s reminiscent of a pound cake, but it’s spongier (see all the air pockets in the cake?), lighter in calories and less rich in terms of flavor. This would taste really good if served with fresh fruit or jam, too.
My husband and I both really enjoyed this pound cake. We’ve been snacking on it throughout the week, and yes – I have eaten it for breakfast too. I need to break out of this English muffin habit!
Greek yogurt pound cake
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour can sub with whole white wheat to make it healthier
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) Chobani 0% vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a loaf pan (I used a 9x5 inch silicone loaf pan and did not grease).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the sugar, Greek yogurt, applesauce, eggs and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Using a spatula, add the Greek yogurt mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined - do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven, remove the pan from the oven and allow the pound cake to cool for at least 15 minutes before flipping it onto a cooling rack.
- Allow the pound cake to completely cool before serving.