Got more zucchini than you know what to do with? Then make this Greek yogurt chocolate chip zucchini bread. It’s adult and kid-approved!
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Ever heard that saying? Well, it definitely rings true in my house, as we tend to be creatures of habit. We’ve been making these eggless zucchini muffins throughout the summer, but it was time for a change.
We love our breakfast quick breads, so I made a zucchini one instead. I was hoping for the best, but preparing for Addie to protest and demand that we bring back the zucchini muffins that she adores so much. Thankfully, she loved this bread.
I made a few small tweaks to the original recipe to suit our family. I swapped out the oil for applesauce and used white whole wheat flour. I also upped the amount of zucchini. The resulting bread was soft yet dense, and jam packed with zucchini with a sprinkle of chocolate chips. We’ve been eating this for breakfast, and it’s been a huge hit. Addie likes her slightly warm so we heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave and let her enjoy it with a fork.
I’m so happy that zucchini is a well-loved ingredient in our house. It doesn’t go over as well if it’s grilled and in plain sight, but if it’s added to baked goods, it’s almost always a hit.
Greek yogurt chocolate chip zucchini bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup one small container plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla, egg, coconut oil, honey, applesauce and brown sugar.
- Transfer the wet mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Add the grated zucchini. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix the batter.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bread should be cooled before serving.