I recently had the opportunity to participate in an online holiday cookie exchange. Those of us who opted into this swap were to bake and send one dozen cookies to a secretly assigned person. We will reveal our identities later, so it will be fun trying to figure out who sent cookies to whom!
I made gooey s’mores cookies for my selected individual. I saved a few for myself to taste test, and I have to say that these were pretty incredible. The marshmallows were melted and nice and gooey. The graham cracker cookie base was a little subtle for me, but otherwise, they tasted like a s’mores.
I know that my recipient enjoyed these gooey s’mores cookies because she mentioned it on our cooking message board. It will be fun to find out which individuals got paired up!
Gooey s'mores cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs 7 full graham cracker sheets
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (I used my imitation Silpat). Using an electric handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Crush 7 graham cracker sheets into 3/4 cup fine crumbs (you can use a blender or food processor. Or, put the graham crackers into a zip-top bag and crush with your hands or a rolling pin).
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and continue mix on low speed until the dough just comes together.
- Stir in the chocolate chips/chunks and marshmallows by hand until just combined.
- Use a medium sized cookie scoop (or measure out about 1.5 TBSP sized portions with a spoon) and place dough onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely.